Sunday 4 October 2015

Reading Review #3


     I have been overwhelmed by the amount of information there is about how iPads can support literacy and be used in today's classroom. I was pleasantly surprised on Saturday morning to find an article in the Vancouver Sun, don't worry it was the epaper,  about technology. This article was right on point for me. Peter Ritchie, a teacher in Richmond was  using iPads with his students to show their learning of A Wrinkle in Time. One of the teachers at my school is reading this with her class. I'm looking forward to sharing the article with her on Monday.  I also sent Peter an email through his school email to ask him some questions about his school's use of  iPads at his school. 

     What has also been eye opening for me was the many formats used to impart the information I have found. In the past, when I have thought about research, I always thought about reference materials, mostly old school, but presented online. The kinds of materials  I would use would be university and school district databases, online encyclopedias (WorldBook), carefully vetted websites. The idea of using YouTube, wikis, blogs and "Yikes " Wikipedia seemed less than academic to me. I have come to realize through this experience that the use of these newer formats and PLNs can and do make me a  better learner.

     The articles, websites, videos and blogs that I have included in my references will help me with my final vision project, Using iPads to Support Literacy in the Hatzic Elementary classroom. M. Gleeson's blog "Ipurpose before IPad" /http://mgleeson.edublogs.org/2013/04/28/ipurpose-before-ipad/, brings home the important fact that learning is the goal that is enhanced through the use of technology.  I will use the "Toontastic at Bel-Aire School." YouTube video as part of my presentation to introduce this app to the staff. I know this app is really going to spark our students interest in story telling while they are learning all about the elements of a story.


Getting and Swainey's article "First Graders with IPADs?" http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ991227.pdf, can help the primary teachers and myself see how the ipads can help all students, even the at risk, become better readers and collaborators.

   I have always been an independent learner, in the sense that I have preferred to work alone rather in groups. I am realizing that this is not the only or best way to learn.  At the beginning of this course I wasn't completely clear about what a PLN was. A Prod event in my district was focused on PLCs and I think I got the two a little confused. PLN is new to me and I'm still not completely comfortable learning this way. Over the last few weeks I am beginning to see the benefits of a PLN and will continue working to improve.

 
Works Cited

Delafosse, Sandra. "Teaching in the 21st Century." YouTube. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Oct. 2015.
Dobler, Elizabeth. "Using IPads to Support Literacy in the Primary Grades." Reading Today (2011): 18-19. Web.

Gentile, Mark. "The Importance of Managing IPads in the Classroom." Eddigest.com (2012): 11-13. Web.

Getting, Sara, and Karin Swainey. "First Graders with IPads?" Learning and Leading with 
Technology (2012): n. pag. Web.

Gleeson, M. "Ipurpose before IPad." Weblog post. Mgleeson.edublogs.org. N.p., Apr. 2013. Web.

Hutchison, Amy, and Beth Beschorner. "Using the IPad as a Tool to Support Literacy Instruction." Technology, Pedagogy and Education (2014): 1-16. Web.

"IPads in the Classroom - Kathy Schrock's Guide to Everything." IPads in the Classroom - Kathy 
Guide to Everything. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Oct. 2015.

Sherlock, Tracy. "Given the Technology, Students Always Find Ways to Use It." Vancouver Sun. N.p., 03 Oct. 2015. Web. 4 Oct. 2015.

Shortreed, Dave. "IPads in the Elementary School Classroom." YouTube. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Oct. 2015.

"Toontastic at Bel-Aire School." YouTube. Isabel Chang, n.d. Web. 04 Oct..


2 comments:

  1. Great work on your final post. You've done a strong job on your reflection and discussion of the search process and the new skills and knowledge you've been picking up. Very glad to read your thoughts on connecting with others and building your own online personal learning network! Your list of resources looks very helpful for your project and goals in your own school community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy, I loved that YouTube on using Toonastic. Our PAC is purchasing a set of iPads, and I think that this app will be a fantastic one to add the the iPads, and the video will be a great way to promote the usefulness of using technology in their classrooms. We had a lot of discussion on how useful the iPads would be and this is a great example so that all the staff can see the potential. Thanks Heather

    ReplyDelete