Saturday 24 October 2015

Teacher Librarians supporting Teacher ICT ProD



    During my time as a T/L I have found that many teachers really don't understand the our role  and therefore do not make full use of our expertise. It is up to the T/L to advocate for ourselves by educating teachers on our role. This graphic from Chris Kennedy's article, My take on Librarians, could be used for this purpose.


Chris is a big supporter of T/Ls stating in his article that, "as we move forward “teacher
librarians are more important than ever,"  and that, "the teacher-librarian is often key in moving the learning agenda forward." There are many other articles and visuals we can use
 to advocate for TL. I liked how this YouTube video from the California School Librarians association sums up our role.

      While reading the topic for this week, the following question seemed to be most important. "How can we best respond to the needs of our staff, in their wide spectrum of abilities and experiences, with the most appropriate and useful professional development?" In my opinion,the poster below clearly demonstrates what teachers want from their ProD. 



The question and the poster have shifted my perspective on the ways I can support teachers’ ICT curriculum and pedagogy ProD. This year instead of just making vague suggestions and quoting articles I read, I will take an active role in helping the staff integrate the technology available in the school with the content learning goals. .Benjamin Harold states, "... a mountain of evidence indicates that teachers have been painfully slow to transform the ways they teach, despite that massive influx of new technology into their classrooms. The student-centered, hands-on, personalized instruction envisioned by ed-tech proponents remains the exception to the rule." I fully agree with statement because I witness it everyday at school and I, too, “have been painfully slow to transform the way I teach. "  Harold continues to give the reasons for slow transformation. One reason being, " Many teachers lack an understanding of how educational technology works."

   This is how I plan to support to address this problem and to support my staff with their ICT ProD.
  1. Know exactly what technology is available in our school.
  2. Know how this technology, be it smart board, iPad, computer, document camera works. If I don’t, I will find out.
  3. Be available to work along side teachers to develop lessons using the available technology as a tool to achieve student learning.
  4. Offer an after school or lunchtime workshop on technology available in our school. Entice teachers to attend by having this opportunity count as the Professional ProD discretionary day each teacher is allowed. Provide dinner or lunch for them.
  5. Our school is also beginning to use PLCs.  The focus of these communities this year will be math. Earlier this year I was wondering how I could support each committee. Obviously now I  can suggest and demonstrate ways the school’s technology can be used by students to  improve their learning in math. Some teachers are using IXL already but maybe some apps that support the higher taxonomies can be explored. Most of our school ProD time this year will be spent on this.

     There are always some teachers unwilling to use their own time for ProD. This has been a barrier in my district because elementary T/Ls provide almost all the prep coverage. However, this year I am lucky to be relieved of some of this prep coverage. This will allow me time to work with these teachers during the teacher’s prep time.  Of course, i will have to encourage the teacher to use their prep toward with me. It’s up to me to make it worth their while.


Works Cited

Duckworth, Sylvia. 10 Things Teachers Want for Professional Development. Digital image.N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Oct. 2015.

Harold, Benjamin. "Why Ed Tech Is Not Transforming How Teachers Teach." Education Week. Editorial Projects in Education, 15 June 2015. Web. 24 Oct. 2015. http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2015/06/11/why-ed-tech-is-not-transforming-how.html

Kennedy, Chris. "My Take on Librarians." Culture of Yes. N.p., 23 May 2011. Web. 24 Oct. 2015. http://cultureofyes.ca/2011/05/23/my-take-on-librarians/

Teacher Librarians and Classroom Teachers: Collaborative Partners. California School Library Association, 15 Mar. 2015. Web. 24 Oct. 2015. http://youtu.be/EyYKkh0n7Vg.

7 comments:

  1. Lucky teachers at your school! I hope that they embrace the opportunity to work with you. Imagine the possibilities of that collaborative time....
    I really like the Powtoon video that you have embedded. It shows what TLs can do, but also puts some responsibility on teachers to make use of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I like the visual poster of what teachers like for pro-d. Also, I like how you are planning to support your staff, lots of good ideas and hopefully you will be able to get teachers using their prep time to prep with you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post full of strong ideas and great suggestions. Once your staff start to see value and trust you are going to help them and make things better and easier for them, it becomes a much easier sell. Also, when your admin and staff see you as a resource that should not just be 'prep coverage' you hopefully will be allocated more time and more resources. Great links, embedding, images, tags and videos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that you included a PowToon animation. I just discovered that site this week, and definitely plan on using it down the road. Also, good idea about familiarizing yourself with all the hardware (cameras, projectors, smartboards, ipads, etc.). I want to increase my own knowledge in that area. Being tech-handy would be very useful in any school, especially since libraries often house some of that hardware (e.g. iPad carts).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy, as you found out I also like the Powtoon video, though I am going to try to take it and tweak it a bit to represent Canada and our school district. I really like everything it says and want to keep many elements without it being too much like a direct copy. Maybe if I combine it with the other one I posted on my blog. I also loved your tree insert that talks about what we want from professional development. It really does sum up what we are looking for and presents it in a great graphic

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Judy, as you found out I also like the Powtoon video, though I am going to try to take it and tweak it a bit to represent Canada and our school district. I really like everything it says and want to keep many elements without it being too much like a direct copy. Maybe if I combine it with the other one I posted on my blog. I also loved your tree insert that talks about what we want from professional development. It really does sum up what we are looking for and presents it in a great graphic

    ReplyDelete