Saturday 17 October 2015

Professional Development


     In the past, my professional development has been very much like what Jose Luis Vilson calls the "Archaic Model." http://www.teachingquality.org/content/blogs/josé-luis-vilson/why-teachers-need-start-their-own-professional-development. I participated in prod days at the school or in the district, but wasn't necessarily interested in what was being presented. In the past, administrators haven't been exactly thrilled when teachers have asked to use a professional day to pursue researching personal teaching interests. Perhaps some teachers didn't provide evidence of their learning. I  guess it's accountability. School administrators are sometimes to anxious to jump on whatever bandwagon is passing through to justify the time spent on pro d. Unfortunately, "teachers still come out of them feeling like they learned nothing of substance when they hoped for at least a nugget of information." (Vilson)(2013). This “Archaic Model” of Professional Development for teachers needs to change. In Benjamin Herald’s article, Why Ed Tech is not transforming how teachers teach, he supports the idea of “job embedded “ professional development. http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2015/06/11/why-ed-tech-is-not-transforming-how.html This is the kind of PD “ that takes place consistently during the the workday and is tied to specific classroom challenges. This ‘job embedded professional development “ seems to tie in with the idea of using PLNs. Another article, Standards lacking in public schools’ use of technology by Tracy Sherlock, says that “teachers don't know how to use the technology in their classrooms.”  Again more proof that the “Archaic model” of PD isn't working.  In the future, I would like to continue my professional development using what Vilson calls, " third-rail professional development,  a hybrid of tech savvy and a healthy dose of networking."


   T/Ls must make ever effort to stay current with new technology, teaching strategies and learning resources if we hope to the fulfill roles our role. T/Ls need to be part of the leadership team in a school. Teachers need to be able to come to T/Ls for support in using technology's and setting up their own PLNs. T/Ls can help and encourage teachers to pursue professional development by sharing their learning and modelling the behaviours of life long learners.  In the past, I have ventured into some online learning: Ted, webinars put on by the BCTLA, a subscription to LM-Net, and of course, UBC online courses, but I can do more. 




     I have been introduced to new ways of learning over the past few weeks and I hope to continue to use these online resources and to share my learning with colleagues. The resources that are new to me are Twitter, blogs, PLN, and Youtube.  




     Twitter is very new to me and I'm not really sure if I completely understand how it all works. I will need to use online resources like https://support.twitter.com, you tube videos and continue to connect with other teachers/ librarians in my district  to help me learn. In the past I have used the trial and error method to learn how to use new apps and online resources. Sometimes trial and error worked, although I didn't always use these online tools to there full potential, and sometimes it didn't work at all, so i just gave up. Here is a YouTube video I am finding useful.



     I have always been very cautious when it came to blogs, but I now see blogs as an excellent way to keep current. While I'm not sure that I will continue to write my own blogs, I will continue to read and subscribe to blogs tha tI feel will benefit my learning.  I have used YouTube before, of course, for entertainment and for educating students, but I have never really used YouTube for my professional learning. I will continue to create a PLN using  YouTube, Twitter and Google search and learn more about PLNs using these online tools. In the future, I would like to become a sharer in my PLN. Currently I'm a really good lurker. Here are the links to some PLN resources I plan on exploring or have already used.





References


Burt, Ronnie. "Step 1: What Is a PLN?" Edublogs Teacher Challenges. N.p., 14 June 2011. Web. 17 Oct. 2015. <http://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/pln-challenge-1-what-the-heck-is-a-pln/>.

Dickens, Seth. "How To Build Your PLN (Professional Learning Network)." YouTube. Diogitalang.com, 12 Feb. 2012. Web. 17 Oct. 2015. <http://youtu.be/A667plNCzwA>.

Meeker, Kelly. "Twitter for Beginners." YouTube. N.p., 13 Apr. 2011. Web. 17 Oct. 2015.

Sherlock, Tracy. "Standards Lacking in Public Schools' Use of Technology." Vancouver Sun. Canada.com, 03 Oct. 2015. Web. 03 Oct. 2015. <http://epaper.vancouversun.com/epaper/viewer.aspx>.

Whitby, Thomas. "The Educator's PLN." - The Personal Learning Network for Educators. N.p., 2015. Web. 17 Oct. 2015. <http://edupln.ning.com/>.

Wilson, Jose Luis. "CTQ." Why Teachers Need To Start Their Own Professional Development. Center for Teaching Quality, 11 Jan. 2013. Web. 17 Oct. 2015. <http://www.teachingquality.org/content/blogs/jos%C3%A9-luis-vilson/why-teachers-need-start-their-own-professional-development>.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Judy, I completely understand your lurking versus sharing on Twitter and other PLNs but I must say that in the last couple of months I have been starting to share more and am starting to get more out of it. It has taken me a bit to see the value, but as I learn to negotiate around the different site I am getting more excited. I even gave my full support to Twitter during a discussion in the staff room on Friday, something I thought I'd never do. I think part of it is that we have always been taught to start at the beginning of the text and read EVERYTHING thoroughly, while now I am learning to skim over it all and then just zero in on one or two things. I think this is something our students seem to be way better than us at, though they don't always read other things as thoroughly as we'd like. I like Marc-Andre Lalande's Take YouTube https://youtu.be/A667plNCzwA on the http://teacherchallenge.edublogs.org/pln-challenge-1-what-the-heck-is-a-pln/ site you shared. He explains what a PLN is, reminds us why it is so powerful, and reminds us that we are in control of sharing "what we want, where we want, when we want and using what tools we want." The bottom line is that it is our Learning Network and it must work for us or we won't use it. Yet your last link http://youtu.be/A667plNCzwA also reminds us we will get what we put into it. Thanks for the links. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy,
    I really like the 'tweeting' comic! That's a keeper. Thanks for sharing the valuable pro-d links. Did you know that Gordon Powell is hosting a session on Twitter at the BCTLA conference next week? I'm hoping to get some tips from him for using it as a learning and sharing tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that sounds good. Unfortunately I can't go this year. Could you send me links etc, you get from the session?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post that outlines your new perspectives and understanding around PLNs and on-going professional development based on networks and connections. Your caution and slow pace are fine to start, as it allows you to survey the landscape, commit to one or two areas and not become overwhelmed. The key is to stick to it and really try to use one or two networks/resources consistently over time to see the value begin to show. Heather's comment was very good in sharing the benefits she is seeing and a great video resource! Good embedding, tagging and linking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your thoughts about pro-d very interesting, especially regarding attitudes towards personal research vs. attending a workshop. I think you're right, about accountability and providing some evidence of your learning. But I'm starting to see how personal research could be a much more beneficial use of time than attending a workshop that may not feel very practical or useful.

    I am also finding Twitter and blogs helpful, and plan to keep searching for other innovative educators to follow.

    ReplyDelete